Monday, March 13, 2006

Views of Jesus: Peter

Sunday March 12
Mark 8: 31-38

I’ve read the "Lord of the Rings" at least 3 times. I love the story. One of the primary themes in the story is the friendship between Sam and Frodo. Frodo is burdened with a terrible task and it is Sam who will follow him through all sorts of dangers and trials, simply because Frodo needs him. It is a beutiful story of friendship. Sam is there to assist Frodo his burden, for a time Sam even carries the burden for Frodo. They go on a journey together not knowing what the end will be. They simply go together.

Jesus had a best friend and his name was Peter. Peter was a fisherman from Capernaum a small village on the coast of the Sea of Galilee. Jesus stayed for a time in Peter’s house. Peter became one of the first disciples and his relationship with Jesus is highlighted in all the gospels. When the disciples spot Jesus walking on water, it’s Peter who jumps out of the boat to greet him. When Jesus is arrested it’s Peter who grabs a sword, and its Peter who stays as close as he can to the trial. Jesus gives that name “Cephus” to him as a pun, Peter is the Rock on which the church will be built.

Peter is close enough to Jesus that he is able to take him aside and question him. The Gospel of Mark has told us this story so quickly. First Peter makes the bold declaration, “You are the Messiah.” Then Jesus begins teaching what that means and Peter doesn’t like what he is hearing. Messiah’s aren’t supposed to talk about their death; they are supposed to talk about the unification of Israel!

Peter can’t see where Jesus is going, perhaps he thinks Jesus has gone off the rails a bit and needs to get back on task. Whatever Peter’s rebuke is, we know Jesus’ response, “Get behind me Satan.” Whoa, just 4 verses after Peter seems to have gotten the perfect answer now Jesus is calling him Satan!

Jesus is telling his friend, sternly, you don’t understand yet, so follow me don’t try to lead. You know it’s kind of hard to follow from the front. I have a lot of sympathy for Peter. There are times in my spiritual journey where I want to direct things. I like to be in control.

I am not in control. I can not yet see what God can see. There are times when I get angry; I want to rebuke Jesus when things aren’t going the way I want them to go.

One time Kendra and I had to attend a meeting and we were coming from two different cities. We met for lunch and then drove to the meeting. I was supposed to follow her since she was more familiar with the area. Of course while we were on the freeway I ended up passing her as she drives slower than I do. I passed our turn, Kendra didn’t and arrived at the meeting on time. When I finally showed up to the meeting another pastor there quipped, “its kinda hard to follow from the front!”

Life is not a Paul Harvey story, we don’t know the rest, we know the past and the present, and unfortunately the past often misinforms our present. Peter’s past was that suffering and death was the end, he could not see, as Jesus did, that the suffering and death were merely the beginning.

Peter couldn’t understand where Jesus was going, it is incomprehensible. Really it wouldn’t make any sense to someone who doesn’t know the rest of the story. As a friend all he knows is that he must follow. Jesus will need his support. Jesus is relying on him.

So how is your friendship with Jesus today? What is Jesus trying to tell you that might be hard to hear? What do you need to share with Jesus?

No comments: