Friday, April 25, 2008

Hymnals

Quick notes on the day.

Trying to sleep during worship. Fun and games with Robert's rules. Mmmmm mudbugs. Hymnal?

I'm tired. Two nights with 4 hours of sleep. I tried to catch up with some sleep during the sermon in morning worship. I know I shouldn't admit it but there it is the horrible truth. It didn't work, but I tried.

We arrived to the committee to discover they had put the "bar" back up so that the whole committee could work on petitions that would effect the budget. There was the usual parliamentary confusion that happens when church committees get together whether it is the PNW Annual Conference. All too boring to go into here but I found amusement with the process. I know I have an illness, I enjoy the machinations of parliamentary procedure.

I had lunch at a fun "Cajun Cafe" called "Razzoos." Apparently you are a "Razzoo" if:
  • You have more bowlin, hotrod or karate trophies than books.
  • You have more than 10 garage sales a year.
  • You miss all weddings, kids recitals and funerals because "Its Dove season."
  • You think a styrofoam cooler is personal luggage.
  • You know more than 5 NASCAR driver or car sponsor names.

I had the "Cajun Etoufee" (et-two-fay) with "mudbugs" (crawfish.) Mmmm cajun cooking, its been a while since I have had crawfish and mmmm it was good.

I had my first experience of "observer discrimination." The sub committee was given a gift from the publishing house, General Conference commemorative Hymnals. I was kind of bummed about that. Then of course the sub committee began a discussion about the "Hymnal Revision Committee."

I came to the discussion on the fence about the need for a new hymnal. I haven't encouraged my church to purchase the "Faith We Sing" book because we were able to use the money saved from buying those to put up video projection instead. However, the discussion in subcommittee has turned me in favor of a new hymnal. Some key points that were raised:

  • 96% of United Methodist Churches use the current hymnbook in worship. (While many churches are using video projection to some degree the hymnbook is still a vital resource for ministry.)
  • The hymnal is a uniting resource for the United Methodist Church
  • A new hymnal would represent a diversity of music but surely not be the only music resource for local churches.
  • The hymnal is more than a music book, it is a worship resource as well.

Those are some of the arguments that won me over. I know, it didn't take much. I wish I could collect my thoughts better but I'm tired. The sub committee seems fairly diverse and many of my questions were asked by others and I have been satisfied by the responses I have received. The publishing house seems plenty aware of the needs for multi media and the likely hood that they will not sell as many of this hymnbook as they have with the last one.

Time for dinner, I wonder if Clint is up for some Texas BBQ?

No comments: